Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Final Reflection

What?
In Instructional Media I have learned how to create a class website, using Google tools and applications, create and use blogs, share documents over the web, tap into the online social networks, create WebQuests, and create Digital Stories along with countless other little technology must haves along the way. I have taken three main ideas from this class and will summarize them here:
1. Technology in the classroom is essential.
This might be my biased opinion but we live in a technological savvy era where most kids know more than we do about many of the technologies available to them. I think as teachers we can best teach them and they will best learn through the use of technology in our classrooms including computers, the Internet, cell phones, music and video.
2. Class websites can help keep students and parents informed while keeping assignments and due dates organized and clear.
I have really enjoyed learning how to create a website that is user friendly and allows me to keep my students and their parents up to date at all times. I feel this is an essential part to getting parents involved in the learning process and letting students take the responsibility for their learning.
3. Students need to be aware of the risks involved with technology as well as how to keep themselves safe.
Internet predators and cyberbullies are real and students need to be able to stay safe and use technology wisely. They need to be made aware of the dangers and know how to act if they encounter questionable situations. Also parents need to be made aware of these dangers as well and be educated about their children's choices and activities. I also want my students to know how to use technology in a legal and ethical way.

So What?
This course has been one of the most useful courses that I have taken. I feel that I have learned so much useful information about the different technologies available to me as a teacher. I feel that all of these things will make me a better teacher and help me to better connect with my students. I feel prepared to create a real class website and connect with my students. I feel that I am very well prepared to start teaching and to meet the NETS standards. I'm well on my way to designing and developing digital-age experiences and activities that will be useful to my students. I also feel very informed about Internet safety and feel strongly that students should be taught how to stay Internet safe. I feel that I can now meet some of my professional goals and create meaningful learning for my students.

Now What?
I will definitely have a class website available to my students for each course. This was one of the main reasons I was excited to take this course. I want my students to be able to access assignments, assignement descriptions, schedules, and announcements 24/7 through our class website.
I'm also looking into using the WebQuest and Digital Story as a final project for my students at the end of the year. I want them to be able to apply the concepts that they have learned throughout the year and create a fun project displaying to me and others what they have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment